First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Approach to Increasing Parallelism
- Assume a Giant-free network stack
- Select an interesting workload
- What are remaining source of contention?
- Where is CPU-intensive activity serialized in a single thread – leading to unbalanced CPU use?
Identify natural boundaries in processing
- Protocol hand-offs, layer hand-offs, etc
- Carefully consider ordering considerations
Weigh trade-offs, look for amortization
- Context switches are expensive
- Locks are expensive