First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Status of SMPng Network Stack
FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x largely run the network stack without Giant
- Some less mainstream components still need it
From “Make it work” to “Make it work fast!”
- Many workloads show significant improvements: databases, multi-thread/process TCP use, ...
- Cost of locking hampers per-packet performance for specific workloads: forwarding/bridging PPS
- UP performance sometimes sub-optimal
- Of course, 4.x is the gold standard...
Active work on performance measurement and optimization currently